Monday, January 7, 2008

How do you know? The first installation.

Welcome! And Happy New Year!

One of the most common questions about trying to figure out what God is calling us to is: How do you know? Oftentimes we are looking all over the place for signs, and sometimes screaming up to Heaven for God to JUST TELL ME!!! Well, there are a few simple ways that we may have some idea, and then there is a sure way beyond these simple ways. Let's look at each one over the next several weeks...

The First Simple Way: Know yourself!
Although it is simple, it may not be easy. We sometimes don't like to look at our lives to know who we are. This may be because we are afraid of what we will find. What if we don't like who we really are? Or, we are currently comfortable with our lives, so why upset things, even though we have this nagging question? It may even be that we find it hard to believe that anyone who really knows who we are could like us. So, we have spent so much time living up to an image we think people expect, that we haven't really been true to ourselves.
But, the truth is, God has made each of us for a specific purpose. And since we are made that way, then wouldn't there be some clues in how we, ourselves, are sort of "built." What I mean is, who we are meant to be is who we have been growing into. So, our deeper or first inclinations, or those things that excite us or drive us further, or the real, underlying reason we get out of bed in the morning can all be indications of what we were made for. What would your answer would be for that classic bumper sticker that says: "I'd rather be ____"? When you look back on any given day, at any moment in your life, what do you find has been your response? Where were you when you were supposed to be somewhere else? What were you doing rather than what you were "supposed" to be doing?
For me, before I was a priest, it all kind of started when I realized that instead of hanging out with my girlfriend at the time, my first inclination, or the thing I found myself doing was helping people. Sometimes taking the time out to listen to people who had problems. Then I realized my first desire, really, was to serve people, and help them heal.

Tell me what you think. Ask me more.

8 comments:

SHADE said...

I feel that way, too.
I love God very much. I really do want to be his priest. Sometimes, though, there is something else...
What kind of priest? Diocesan? Missionary? What?

Father Peter Lynch said...

Hey Shade,

You are definitely right. There is first of all the discernment of whether or not you are called to be a priest - the next step after that is to find where you are called to serve. I would say, this is mainly still discovered by knowing who you are, and what is the nature/charism of each of those ways to serve.
It was a priest who once explained the basic difference between diocesan and religious priesthood said this: With religious life you are committed first to a religious community (Franciscan, etc.) and so the community comes first, then from the community you go out to serve the people. With diocesan life the people come first, and you can always find community.
A long way of saying that the next step should be to discern if you are called to community life, or to what is also called the "secular" diocesan) priesthood. In considering religious life, people often forget that one should discern if they are called or built for community life, which has its own real difficulties.
This is long already - so we will continue again soon.

The Real Katie said...

Hey Padre,

I loved your last post... It was great! Just wanted to let you know that I'm very excited to continue reading.

Katherine said...

I am on the same page as Shade, in deserning religious life, yet in a different respect. I do not know whether to chose contemplative or active life. I know where I want to go if contemplative, and I have three active orders in mind, but which should I chose? Each (contemplative, active) contain their own irriplaceable beauty, and while my heart my desire for one...it craves the other. How do I decern in such as this situation? I have found myself qualified for both in my heart, and yet I must choose one. How do I know?

Ann said...

Father,
Is there such a thing as a diocesan sister, or are all women religious part of communities? In talking to many women, there is a great willingness to serve as a sister, but community life is a drawback, especially for older women. (and most communities won't consider older women anyway)
Thank you,
Ann

Anonymous said...

Why is it that you only have vocation groups up to the age of 40? I am a 40 year old man who has currently gone back to college to complete my bacholers degree. I have been thinking seriously about the priesthood for a year or so. I had thought about it long ago but now it has been a part of my everyday thoughts. I haven't spoken to anyone about this yet but when I feel the call is true I would like to. What can I do if I am over 40 and I feel that I have a true calling to the priesthood?

Father Peter Lynch said...

Ann,

Thanks for your question. There is a such thing as a diocesan sister, but like most religious communities, they live in community according to a particular charism, or character/spirituality. There is a vocation and way of life where the people called to it do not live in community. The first type is called "Consecrated Virgins", and you can find information at http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/
There are also a number of people who live a life of devotion to the Church in the Single Life. This would normally be a life that does not have "public vows", like the religious life, but live the vows of their Baptism and Confirmation to the fullest, with a dynamic prayer life that utilizes the sacraments of the Church. This vocation is lived out with a job either in the Church, or more often, a regular secular job, but the rest of one's time is devoted to ministries in the parish, as well as their own spiritual development. We can talk more in a topic on this life, if you like... let me know!

Father Peter Lynch said...

Jim D,

Thank you for your question. We actual have a number of men who are in their 40's who participate in our discernment programs and events. You would be welcome to join us! One program we just started is the Vianney Men's Club which meets once a month for Mass and casual discussion at St. John Fisher Seminary. You can find information on the calendar of events on the website. When we publicize events we give an age range that is actually a little less than who we are willing to look at - the range is flexible. But, there is a cut-off, because it would mean they are that much older when they finish formation - and to be honest, we have to have healthy men who can give some quality time to the ministry. In the end it is not so much about the man's fulfillment, but God's people being served. So, a man who is in their 40's is welcome to come and discern. The range is flexible because it depends on the candidate, their maturity, how serious they are to discern the call, and above all their willingness to enter formation, which means the willingness to change or for conversion. We have met older men who are not as willing to conform their lives and hearts to that of the Good Shepherd, though they may feel called. If you are still in your 40's you are welcome to join us! Contact me and we will get together some time!